Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Power - or Lack Thereof

At 11:45 p.m. last night the power went out (again) at my house. This time it was due to some terrific winds, I'm sure. I woke up just as the power went out - possibly because it was also thundering and lightening at the time. The house was all closed up because the temp had been up to 97 yesterday and I had the a/c on when I went to bed. Of course that went off when the power went out.

I got up, took a stroll around the living room and kitchen, watched as some police cars went by the house and then went around and opened all the windows. The temperature had dropped at least 20 degrees and there was a lovely breeze. I thought I'd log on and see what was happening but ~ duh ~ realized that even wireless won't work if the router doesn't have power!

I finally fell back asleep and woke up around 6:30. I had found a D battery for my clock radio and could listen to that. I still had no power; therefore, no coffee, no hot shower, no blow dryer, and most of all ~ no car to go to work. If I lose power, the garage door won't open and since I cannot get into the garage EXCEPT through the main car door, I'm screwed. So, I called work (using my 1980s vintage rotary trim-line phone), said I'd be late and went about doing what I could without electricity.

I folded clothes, knitted, sorted a dresser drawer, knitted, started sorting knitting needles, and knitted. I called the electric company and they had a recording that the outage affected 5 towns and they expected the power to be back on around 10:00 a.m. At 10:05 I began to hear click, click, hmmmmmmm, click. The hamsters had been fed and the power was surging again. The first thing I did was open the garage door - just in case the power went out again. At least then I could get the car out and go to work. After resetting all the clocks and making sure that everything that was supposed to have power and be working was, I took my shower and got ready to go to work.

I got in about 11:15 - only after stopping to get a Dunkin Donuts French Vanilla Iced Coffee.

This is the 5th time in about 2 weeks that I've lost power at the house. Don't know what caused the others, but this one was a doozy! I was hoping it wouldn't last too, too long; I didn't want to lose the food in the fridge. On the one hand I was hoping it didn't stay off too long so I wouldn't lose the food; on the other hand, I was getting a lot of piddly stuff done around the house and was on a roll. Oh well.

But, all seems well; the power is back on ~ at least it was when I left the house about 3 hours ago; and everything seems to be working fine.



No comments: