Thursday, November 6, 2008

Redeployment Part 1

So, I know a lot of you have been wondering about when I am coming home, what the plans are for the holidays, how the deployment has been overall through my experiences, and just how things are. While I cannot unfortunately say here when I am leaving or when to expect to see me at stewart, know that I will be at Stewart within 4 days of leaving my FOB. The plan is to leave from here to BIAP, then take a plane to Kuwait. Once there, I will be processed as coming out of deployment status, and will then fly to Hunter AAF. Once the hugging grandmas and war veterans get done hugging us and thanking us for our service and welcoming us home, we will then bus to stewart in which we will have a Welcome home ceremony that will last approximately 10-20 minutes. Now mind you that the ceremony WILL commence the moment we get to stewart. So it could be at 1400 (2pm for the civilians), or 2am(just a heads up). Once the Commanding General (CG) is done with his speech welcoming us home and how we did an outstanding job accomplishing our mission, we will then be released to the more important hugs and kisses and tears from the families and friends and general loved ones. We will then receive sometime between a 24-48 hour pass to spend with the family. We will then go through a grueling, long and boring re-integration phase. Unfortunately, the Division has felt that in order for everyone to get get equal time, they will not be allowing people to go on block leave until after the first of the new year. This not only allows for everyone to get home, but to also get the re-integration training that they (the powers the be) feel is necessary for soldiers to receive since we are considered a high-risk after this drawn-out deployment (prone to drinking, reckless behavior, marital/relationships problems, and coping with post-deployment issues that arise). So unfortunately for us, you will not be able to see me after the welcome home ceremony and the time there until after news years day (they are preventing people from leaving new years day so that soldiers are not out on the road when people in the area have been drinking and driving (nothing good happens outside the house after 10pm, right?) So, that is that part.

Will tell more in my part II about my experiences (good and bad) in my next blog which will be closer to the end of the month.


Shennie said...

Good to see some news from you. Did you get the boxes?

David said...

Yes, I did get the packages and they are pretty much all but gone. The only thing really left that is slowly dwindling down are the lollipops/ dum dums.